How does the Claims Process work when I use a Loss Assessor in Ireland?

The Claims Process:

Starts with you or your representative ( A Loss Accessoror often your Insurance Broker) informing your Insurer that an incident has occurred and that a claim will be initiated under the terms of the policy.

You will have to show that the damage was caused by a peril that is covered under the terms of your policy. An example of this would be a plumbers report in the eventof a leaky water pipe.

Your Insurer will in most cases appoint a Loss Adjuster to represent them in the claims process. Small valued cases will usually be desk topped(handled by internal staff).

The Loss Adjuster will want to call and view the damage. He may be a direct employee of the Insurer, or often he will work for an outsource company who handle the claim for Insurers with delegated authority to settle the claim. He will, however, have to operate under a strict service level agreement between the Insurer and the outsource company.

Your Loss Accessor will represent you when the Loss Accessor visits the scene and will agree as much as possible regarding the scope of the damage with the Loss Adjuster. He will also prepare the claim to be submitted (for larger claims he may well use a Quantity Surveyors and or other professionals where necessary).

Having submitted the claim your Loss Accessor will negotiate the best possible settlement on your behalf.

Gerry Carter CDIP LA, CIP.
Carter Claims.